Matusadona- Africa’s Park you’ve never heard of… and why you should visit!
The 1400 square kilometre Matusadona National Park lies on the south shore of Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe’s north-west. The rugged and wild park offers a dramatic and breathtaking scenery from the 700m Matusadona mountains to the scenic lakeshore below. The lakeshore and low lying areas are home to large herds of game and wildlife can be viewed by boat or on land.
Some of Matusadona’s highlights are:
- Exclusivity- Matusadona is remote and hard to get to- which means you will have it virtually to yourself! Many other parks of such outstanding beauty are full of travellers- but here you’ll be one of a privileged few. Its remote location has protected it from over-development. There are only a few small safari lodges (often owner-run) which offer great attention to detail and access to this untouched wilderness.
- Experience Africa’s Big 5 animals in a natural setting. Matusadona National Park is one of the few places where you will still find Africa’s Big 5 animals – lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and the endangered rhino. Matusadona is an Intensive Protection Zone because of the existence of the black rhino.
- Try a hand at wrestling one of Africa’s game fish. Great fishing is on available with catch and release of the famous fighting Zambezi tigerfish offering hours of recreation on the lake’s peaceful waters.
- Both land and water based activities are available. Matusadona can be experienced from land in one of the few lodges or visited on a houseboat safari. In addition, it’s lakeside location means varied activities from game drives, walking safaris, rhino-tracking, fishing, canoeing, boat cruises are all on offer.
How to get here
- Small plane air charters are the quickest way to get this remote and watery wilderness.
- Or transfer or fly to Kariba town and get a boat transfer in if you prefer the ‘scenic route’.
- Road access is challenging and limited to 4×4 vehicles and experienced drivers and navigators.
For where to stay ad when to visit and which areas Matusadona combines best with contact us for your fully personalised safari package. Each package is made to meet your budget and your interests by people who live in Zimbabwe and know the areas, people and latest information intimately.