Family-Friendly African Safari
When you think of you may not think of it as being a family-friendly holiday. However contrary to popular belief you can comfortably experience thrills of the African bush with your family. Today, children are specially catered to with children’s programs that are imaginative, immersive and engaging. Here are our top tips for what to consider when picking the perfect destination for your dream trip:
- Make sure the lodge or camp allows children and check the age limit carefully.
- Check if the lodge has family suites available. If not what are the sleeping arrangements?
- Book a private vehicle. This will allow you greater flexibility than on a shared vehicle meaning you can opt for shorter drives or more frequent stops. Flexibility is key when you have little children.
- Stay somewhere with a pool- this will be invaluable in entertaining them on long hot days.
- Canoeing or walking safaris are generally not suitable for children under the age of 12.
- Find out what activities are on offer for children and if they offer a children’s programme.
- Bring a camera and/or binoculars for your children to use. It will help keep them interested and busy while game-viewing.
- Give children an animal checklist to tick off what they have seen.
Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia all offer great child-friendly options and these can be paired with a city break such as Cape Town or even a few days at the beach in Zanzibar.
Picking the right place to go is vital and it is key to have first-hand knowledge of what is both safe and enjoyable for children to do in the bush and this is where we come in! We have children and we live here and often travel with them so we can really advise you on what will suit you best. In today’s busy world, we believe that time out with your family is precious and we will ensure you get the best experience possible.